Studied effects of a good sound atmosphere on Education
In education it is essential to reduce the disruption from background noise and to have a good sound setting overall. If achieved, there will be substantial benefits for both students and teachers:
- Better speech clarity and greater understanding. (3)
- Better working memory.
- Enhanced reading ability.
- Lower stress levels and blood pressure.
- Better focused students and less fatigue. (6)
- Higher test scores (1)
- Makes student speak lower. (2 & 5)
- Students feel more encouraged to cooperate and to be inclusive (4)
1. Shield, B.M. and Dockrell, J.E.: The effects of environmental and classroom noise on the academic attainments of primary school children. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 123(1), 133-144, USA (2008)
2. MacKenzie, D. J.; Airey, S.: Classroom Acoustics – A Research Study, Heriot-Watt University, United Kingdom (1999)
3.Klatte, M.; Lachmann, T.: [A lot of noise about learning: acoustic conditions in classrooms and what they mean for teaching] Germany (2009)
4. Canning, D.; James, A.: The Essex Study – Optimized classroom acoustics for all, United Kingdom (2012)
5. Tiesler, G., Oberdörster, M.: Bremen University [Acoustic ergonomics in schools], Germany (2006)
6. Schönwälder, H.-G.; Ströver, F.; Tiesler, G.: [Health promoting influences on performance ability in school education] Germany (2008)