The Royal Yacht Britannia
HMY Britannia was built at the shipyard of John Brown & Co. Ltd in Clydebank, West Dunbartonshire, UK, being launched by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II on 16 April 1953 and commissioned on 11 January 1954.
The ship was designed with three masts, a 133-foot (41 m) foremast, a 139-foot (42 m) mainmast, and a 118-foot (36 m) mizzenmast. The top 20 feet (6.1 m) of the foremast and mainmast were hinged, to allow the ship to pass under bridges.
Britannia was designed to be converted into a hospital ship in time of war, although this capability was never used. In the event of nuclear war it was intended that the Queen would take refuge aboard Britannia in the North West coast of Scotland.
In 2011 Gustafs and LSA Projects was involved in the refurbishment of the Royal Deck onboard Britannia. We had the honor to produce and install 200m² acoustic, nature oak veneered paneling for the ceilings and bespoke paneling for the walls.
Architect: 442 Design